Sunday 10 February 2013

Advert of the Day

Today's ad of the day has a slightly different slant, and it made me feel a lot of things. Firstly the cynic in me wondered if it could actually be for real. Then I felt very sad for the kid in question, and finally I felt terrified that someone might actually ring and offer her a horse!

Here it is:


AD CONTENT:

Hello im Kim im a 13 year old girl look i know my prices are small but let me explain my mare (Flicka a black TWH/Saddlebred mare) died on 9-11-11 due to colic for the 3rd time, apparently some horses are like born with a weakness to it which she had she was 7 when she died and i think we got her at 2 years old now im looking for a horse someone can hold for us my dad is taking extra precautions so the horse will be safer than flick was she would have never left us but we didn't make a very good fence with her but now dad said that he is gonna make the best fence in history lol i have been looking at many horses but still have not found one any paints will be welcomed i want to learn cross country so i need a good jumper and fast runner but i'll consider ALL horses i love horses my room is filled with them we have many animals so we are experienced 5 cats, 6 dogs and chickens i have had lots of horses in the past but flick was the only one who wasn't sold here is somethings i need:

-Mare or stallion (gelding will be considered because i may want to breed the horse in the future)
-All horses are welcome Paints will be welcomed with opened arms so will all
-any breed plus mixed breeds
-must be broken and young (2-4)
-Must be low priced

my parents are in debt but they try to get me what i ask for thats why they are great

There are so many areas of concern here that I can barely start.

Flicka a black TWH/Saddlebred mare) died on 9-11-11 due to colic for the 3rd time, apparently some horses are like born with a weakness to it which she had she was 7

Firstly poor old Flicka looks to have been very ill for some time. Can you see in the pictures where her hips and spine are jutting out?

From some of the content I wonder if the family really knew how to care for her properly. I wonder if there may have been something very wrong internally, maybe even a growth/obstruction of some sort. The cost of looking into this appears to have been beyond the owners- but if it was, by no means would I EVER recommend they jump in and get another horse!

my dad is taking extra precautions so the horse will be safer than flick was she would have never left us but we didn't make a very good fence with her

Um... so there wasn't a securely fenced paddock in place for Flicka? Surely this is one of the main essentials for horse keeping!

Perhaps this explains the colic- she may have been wandering into nearby wasteland and eating god knows what. Plus of course the risk of horses getting into accidents and injuring other people...

i want to learn cross country so i need a good jumper and fast runner

For $500 the poster is more likely to end up with something that would fall over a jump instead of take it! Also a horse that goes really fast and jumps doesn't always make a good cross county horse- they need to have that cruising speed, stamina, bravery and the intelligence to measure their fences correctly.

...but i'll consider ALL horses i love horses my room is filled with them we have many animals so we are experienced 5 cats, 6 dogs and chickens...

I am sure the readers of this blog don't need me to point out that keeping lots of different animals does not in any way make you experienced in horse management!

i have had lots of horses in the past but flick was the only one who wasn't sold here

I can only presume that most of the other horses just passed through and may not even have been with the family for long. Therefore any knowledge acquired is probably minimal.

Mare or stallion (gelding will be considered because i may want to breed the horse in the future)

AAAAAH!!! If you are going to buy a horse for about $500 I would bet my WHOLE RIGHT LEG that it's not going to be a good breeding candidate! I am presuming that the bit in brackets is a typing error as of course, geldings are not capable of breeding. Not to mention of course the experience needed to do a good job of caring for a mare in foal and her baby. Never mind safely and securely managing a stallion (without a proper fence possibly?! Feel faint...)...!!

-must be broken and young (2-4)
-Must be low priced


Again for $500 anything nicely broken and that age, fully sound and healthy (this could be where they get duped into taking on something with chronic illness) may be hard to come by.

The continual emphasis of a low price is a constant worry. $500 at current currency conversion rates (from those handy tools online) is only about £300. That's barely 2 months care for my horse. Keeping horses correctly is not cheap and that's assuming things don't go wrong. My horse once spent a few nights in a vet hospital. I had to pay the £250 (about $395) insurance excess, but if she hadn't been insured, I'd have been looking at a 2k vet bill. I tend to agree with the approach that if you can't afford to spend around what the type of horse you really want (in this case an allrounder/ cross country schoolie) will cost you, you probably can't afford to keep the horse anyway.

my parents are in debt but they try to get me what i ask for thats why they are great

Maybe this is why poor Flicka's recurring colic was never properly addressed. :-(

I do feel sad about this whole stituation. Heck I was a frustrated horse loving kid and all I wanted was to ride but my folks couldn't even afford to pay for regular lessons. I worry that the family could end up being presented with a horse that's either dangerous or sick at the price they are promoting. And of course I fear for the welfare of any horse that might end up with them.

If I could have one hope it would be that someone with a stables in the area and the patience to work with young people would call her and invite her over, so she can get the feeling of riding properly schooled horses and learn to go cross country as she wants, without putting herself or another horse at risk.

As an aside, I discovered this ad as I tried to investigate the other side of horse selling- the problem of buyers! More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment